The Syrian Civil Coalition is a lobby of Syrian civil society organisations, activists and initiatives that provides visions and plans from the viewpoint of civil society. It seeks influence on decision-makers on policies, decisions and resolutions concerning Syria. It also aims to protect civil society and any regulations that affect it.
The need for this alliance comes from the increasing gap between the needs and priorities of the Syrian society on one hand and those making decisions concerning Syria on both the national and international levels on the other. A genuine Syrian agenda has been almost absent from decision-making tables, which are often restricted only to the political and military actors. Since civil society does not seek power, and because of its reach into Syrians communities, it is the party that is most capable to articulate the needs, priorities and aspirations of this society.
The Coalition aims to enhance the role of public opinion in decision-making based on an awareness of civil rights and the importance of civil society work to protect these rights. The Coalition puts forward strategies and, at this stage, its main focus is to ensure a key role for civil society in the process of formulating solutions to the Syrian crisis and peace making. It ensures that the challenging circumstance of this emerging Syrian civil society will not hinder its role in building the future of the country.
The alliance works in accordance with a temporary governing structure. It is lead by an interim board until the convening of its first conference when the final versions of all coalition papers will be agreed upon and a new governing board will be elected.
Who we are:
We are an unclosed league for Syrian civil society’s organizations and activists inside and outside Syria, we seek to build the culture of citizenship and to dedicate the concept of human rights and effective gathering vision that achieves the interests of the Syrian people in right, freedom and social justice; through getting the civil society involved in the decisions making process, participatory public opinion and creative initiatives.
Our identity is based on the Syrian spectrum as a whole and the social pluralism. We are not divided by the ideological, doctrinal or political differences as long as they uphold the rights of the Syrian citizen and the foundation of the social relations. The individual is the mainstay of the nation-building, and we are concerned to be able to participate in the construction, monitoring and control the four authorities: legislative, executive, judicial and media, as well as decision making and provide alternative proposals for the benefit of the individual and the society as a whole.
Syrian civil society that is able to fulfill the demands and needs of the community in the economical, social and cultural development, and to create social atmosphere that is interactive in a civilized humane way and globally integrated.
Achieving participatory in building state institutions and the secretion of civil political leaders who can reflect the aspirations of the Syrian society.
- To contribute to drafting Just laws that achieve the dignity of the citizens, protect their freedom and ensure equality among.
- To devote the culture of “Rule of Law “and state services.
- To develop the culture of rights and freedoms and to link to the concepts of duties and responsibility.
- To promote the culture of citizenship in the community.
- To emphasize on the importance of justice and fairness and to work on these concepts in terms of the right to participate in the development and in the fair distribution of its outputs.
- Strive towards achieving future conscious vision that will gather Syrians, but not from personal or partisan revenge perspectives, neither sentimental considerations nor electoral gains.
- The application of good governance standards in the administrative systems.
- Strengthening the standards of “the third millennium goals “within government economical, educational and cultural plans; political participation and women’s rights.
- To work as a pressing bloc “Lobby ” on the authorities in political and human rights fields in order to protect the interests of citizens and organizations , and to oblige the executive authorities to apply its commitments, respect the law and not misuse of power.
- To put pressure on international and regional actors involved in Syrian affairs to commit to the terms of international legitimacy when drafting any proposal or decision regarding Syria.
- To put pressure on the international community to abide by the terms of the agreements related to Syria.
- Dialogue with different decision-making levels to find equitable sustainable solutions in Syria.
- To be the voice of marginalized groups, which represent the largest social carrier of national reconciliation (and to demonstrate by publishing the results of questionnaires and public opinion polls).
- To play a proactive role in analyzing problems and challenges that are facing the Syrian civil society, and spread awareness and propose mechanisms to address these challenges.
- Activating the role of the Syrian civil society in the planning and implementation of programs:
- National reconciliation.
- Civil peace.
- Create institutional reconstruction programs that suit the particularity of Syria.
- Raise public awareness about the role of civil society and the importance of the issues advocated by.
- Defending the interests and demanding the rights of Syrian civil society within the framework of international conventions and relevant domestic legislations.
- Enable Syrian civil society to contribute to the decision-making process.
Strategies during the conflict
- Activating the role of Syrian civil society in workarounds solutions through supporting his role in:
1.1. Develop and implement strategies and mechanisms to get out of the crisis.
1.2. Achieve peace and stability in Syria.
1.3. Express the priorities and needs of the Syrian society at decision-making meetings related to Syrian affairs.
1.4. Supervise the execution of decisions taken regarding the Syrian affairs.
1.5. Play the role of managing partner in the implementation of decisions relating to resolve the crisis in Syria.
1.6. Tackling extremism and heal the rift that happened to the relations within the multi-identities Syrian society, especially with political and military leaders seek to get support that is based on factional and regional identity.
2. Implement mechanisms for good governance, anti-corruption and freedom of expression.
3. To act, so that the current special situation that the country is going through and obliged the Syrian civil society to work out the legal frameworks and international standards, would not hinder the Syrian civil society to participate to the community and to play its active role in building the future of our country and to act so that the Syrian civil society would not be exempt from decision makings process.
4. Playing the role of pressure lobby on the decision-makers during the crisis in order to protect the interests and rights of the Syrian civil society.
5. Raise awareness about the dangers that threaten the Syrian civil society with the violence, collapse of the state & the spread of political money and to put up mechanisms to address these risks.
6. Directing media to provide fair coverage of the Syrian civil society, its active actors and their role in resolving the crisis.
7. Carry out activities to enable the Syrian civil society to contribute to the decision-making process.
- Achieve a peaceful transition of power towards democracy in Syria with the participation of a conscious civil society and bring interaction between state institutions and civil society organizations.
- Activating the role of the Syrian civil society in the planning and implementation of:
2.1. National Reconciliation
2.2. Civil peace
2.4. Develop and implement programs for transitional justice.
3. Playing the role of pressing lobby on transitional governing body in Syria and on those who exercise authority in areas out of state control in order to protect the interests and rights of the Syrian civil society.
4. Forming oversight committees of civil society organizations that monitor the transition period and the implementation of contracts between the government and international bodies on one hand and the donor countries on the other.
Long Term Strategic Objectives:
- To enable the Syrian civil society to play the role of an effective actor in political and development decisions.
- To play the role of pressing lobby on the state in order to:
2.1 Adopt legislative facilities for the establishment of political parties, associations and civil society organizations and support them financially without interference in their affairs.
2.2. Keep the state from interfering in the affairs of associations and civil society organizations and political parties and lift restrictions on their activities.
3. Rectify the relationship between the Syrian civil society and the state.
4. Enhance the position and cognitive role of Syrian civil society in social, political and cultural life.
5. Enable Syrian civil society to participate in decision-making process.
6. Lead public opinion towards good governance, anti-corruption and defend freedom of expression.